[oc] Trade off between area and power ?

 Hi, dear elites,

  Lately, I am thinking a design problem regarding trade off between area
and power.
In the original design, there is 2 copies of complex multiplier(10bits
inputs/22 bits output) operates at 3.84MHz. If we would like to reduce the
area, we could just use one copy of it and operates at 2x speed, i.e.
7.68MHz. The so called TDM way and just needs some extra control logic to
dispatch the task. The problem came out. It's a portable system design and
has limited power could use. How could we determine what kind of
architecture will we gain on between area and power ? In my opinion, power
budget should put the first place in portable system. Appreciate for any
comments.

All the best,

Nanson