Re: [oc] Inquiry

John Dalton <john.dalton@bigfoot.com> writes:

> Dual licensing is not unusual in software.  Mozilla/Netscape
> is the most well known example.  The code is released under the
> GPL as well at the 'Mozilla public license', which allows Netscape to
> use Mozilla code in their closed source browser.

Or Perl, which is both Artistic and GPL.

> I'm not sure how bug reports/patches impact on sole authorship/
> ownership.  I think it depends on the significance a bug report.
> A single line change by another party might not weaken the owner's
> copyright, but large changes would result in the author of
> a patch having some say in licensing (unless the patch is written
> out of th ecode base).

AFAIK, the FSF considers about 10 lines of code (in a block I suppose,
not 10 different typo fixes) to be the magic number before requiring a
copyright assignment for code that already is under FSF copyright. I
don't think bug reports alone count, but IANAL of course.

Cheers,
  Colin