RE: [openrisc] Running ORPsoc simulator

Hi Marko,

I apologise for being a pest, but I'm starting to get desperate :-(

> I cannot remember what is wrong, how it should be linked, if you
> want to use
> -c and -o options.
> Try looking at mailing list archive, there have been already a lot of
> discussion on this subject.

There has been a lot of discussion, which I have read very carefully, but I
cannot work out what the conclusion is - most seems to be concerning failure
to build the simulator, not these 'userland' applications; the only other
hint was that or32-uclibc-gcc should be run, which I am now doing.

The bottom line is that the Makefiles supplied in the
or1k/uclinux/userland/init etc. don't work as checked out. This means one of
two things:

1) I have done something wrong in building the tools, following the only
sources of information I can (which I specified in an earlier post).
2) There is something wrong with the scripts as checked in.

(1) is most likely to be the problem, however I cannot work out what I am
doing wrong. I have rebuilt time and time again with the same results.

Do I need to incrementally link with crt0.s? If I add '-nostdlib' to the
Makefile, it runs almost exactly the same command, only 'crt0.o' is not on
the command line. This builds successfully; I haven't tried to see if it
actually does anything yet but my feeling is that without crt0.o when the
program is executed it won't know how to get to main() (I don't know a lot
about the uClinux exec. environment at the moment).

I am suspicious of the fact that in the command line, crt0.o has no prefix.
I ran the native gcc verbosely and the crtn.o files etc. all had /usr/lib
prefixes on them (I have split the lines for clarity):

/opt/or32-uclinux/lib/gcc-lib/or32-uclinux/3.1/collect2 \
-o init -d -r crt0.o \
              ^^^^^^ No prefix
-L/opt/or32-uclinux/lib/gcc-lib/or32-uclinux/3.1 \
-L/opt/or32-uclinux/lib/gcc-lib/or32-uclinux/3.1/../../../../or32-uclinux/li
b \
simpleinit.o -lgcc -lc -lgcc

So am I missing something in the configuration?

Another thing - configure for GCC is specified with
'--local-prefix=/opt/or32-uclinux/or32-uclinux' but '--local-prefix' is not
recognised in configure. So this seems to be meaningless and I built it
without this and it made no difference.

Surely someone has got this working - can't anyone help me?

I have written down the steps I am doing for my own sanity and would be
welcome to submit it for inspection.

Robert