Re: [oc] RE: [pci] PCI core ( LICENSING )

Aloha!

Rudolf Usselmann wrote:
> As one can see the usage of GPL & LGPL can become very
> quickly very complicated. Thats why I personally do not
> use either one. GPL and LGPL have been written for
> software (and libraries). Trying to apply them to
> hardware and IP cores is not as trivial as one would
> think.
>
> I would rather see my cores being used than scaring
> potential users away all together. My experience with
> commercial users has been that they will avoid anything
> that is not black & white in terms of licensing. I
> suspect most commercial users will not use (L)GPLed IP
> cores because of the uncertain legal issues.

Not to start a license-war, but I usually prefer a BSD-style license in favor
of the (L)GPL types. The BSD-license is an "AS IS", disclaimer style license
that protects *me* from any problems caused to someone using my kludge. Also,
it gives the user the right to do whatever he/she/it wants with the code,
including keeping all changes to himself. The only restriction is the need to
retain/produce the copyright notice itself.

BSD-licensed SW-based code is used in tons of commercial products. I believe a
similar license for HW-designs (cores) would work very nice indeed.

--
Med vänlig hälsning, Yours

VP, Research & Development