Re: [oc] Async reset: active high or active low?

On Monday 28 April 2003 01:31 pm, John Sheahan wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 05:24:40PM +0200, cyrano@nerim.net wrote:
> > I really ask why active low reset is used in our labs. It was answer that
> > it is an historical raison because in TTL high level signal consumme less
> > energy than low one. Power up is not concerne any more because logic
> > begin to work at ~2.5 V.
>
> this is wrong. TTL inputs (real ttl, not this newfangled LS
> rubbish :) drew about 1.4ma when low and and few hundred microamps
> high. So an active low reset minimized power.
> (note that using minimize power and TTL in the same sentance is tricky)

;o)

Alternatives to "minimize";
- less wasting
- reduced
- optimized

Cyrano got part of the answer right, just that Reset is normally "off", i.e.
"high" and drew less current.

The argument of "reset by default at power-up" by a simple RC network, is a
more recent thing (I think?), in ultra-low cost designs, such as PIC12xx,
where a reset device cost more than the CPU (!).

(Paraphrasing; Using "I" and "think" in the same sentence is tricky.)

Niclas