Re: [oc] RE: [pci] PCI core ( LICENSING )

On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 21:42, Kevin Kilzer wrote:
> Joachim Strömbergson <Joachim.Strombergson@InformAsic.com> provided important information on Fri, 04 Apr 2003 14:29:20 +0200...
> >Not to start a license-war, but I usually prefer a BSD-style license in favor
> >of the (L)GPL types. The BSD-license is an "AS IS", disclaimer style license
> >that protects *me* from any problems caused to someone using my kludge. Also,
> >it gives the user the right to do whatever he/she/it wants with the code,
> >including keeping all changes to himself. The only restriction is the need to
> >retain/produce the copyright notice itself.
>
> OK, suppose that I use an open core in an FPGA.  Where shall I then post the copyright notice?  What will it look like?
>
> I could imagine it on the chip label (using rather small type), on a sticker near the chip (slightly larger type), prominently on the product label (probably small type here, too), or in the manual.
>
> It might look something like a movie credit:
> 	PCI core provided by Victor H. DeLicense <vhdl@cores-r-us.com>	:->
>
> Is this line of reasoning correct?

Kevin,

I believe all that "duplication" and "maintaining" of
the license/copyright is mostly intended for source
code (re)distributions of the IP cores. As you point
out it is unreasonable to expect a license to be
duplicated/posted on a final product containing the
IP core. Perhaps somewhere in the user documentation
it might be "nice" to mention that "The PCI Interface
was provided by John Doe Developer through
OpenCores ...."

Just my HO ...

Regards,
rudi